Sunday, February 7, 2010

Are doctors told to give false stories about their ';friends'; to patients to get them to feel better or shut up

If a patient comes in with concerns or anxiety about something, I always hear doctors say ';Well I have a friend who....'; I'm starting to think this is bullcrap and it is just a tactic they learn in medical school so that patients don't feel like they're the only ones going through it. Is that true?Are doctors told to give false stories about their ';friends'; to patients to get them to feel better or shut up
I can't speak for my colleagues, but I don't lie to patients. I do about 1,000 cases a year, so I see a lot of stuff.Are doctors told to give false stories about their ';friends'; to patients to get them to feel better or shut up
Hopefully your physician's compassion is congenital and then refined through his medical training. Since most ailments are common rather than rare, it's logical that a physician, in his day to day examinations of patients, would encounter a great deal of commonality. For you to assume that there is some ';bullcrap tactic'; is both unfair and paranoid.
considering they see hundreds of patients as well as have a life outside of there job i would think they know many peoples medical experiences and have alot of experience to rely on. i think thats what they tell there patients.
Not necessarily. Most doctors know a lot of people; and most conditions (medical or otherwise) are more common than people think.

No comments:

Post a Comment