Thursday, February 4, 2010

Since all humans (male and female) have 12 ribs, is the creation story false?

How do Bible beaters explain this little anatomical mistake in the book of Genesis? Maybe God can't count. It says that God took a rib from Adam and made Eve out of it, and this is why - to this day - males have one fewer ribs than females have.Since all humans (male and female) have 12 ribs, is the creation story false?
Early tribes would have believed this missing rib story because due to the shapes of male and female bodies it appears to the eye that men could have fewer ribs, when in fact they don't.


And they would have believed that if God took a rib out of a man, that would be a permanent alteration.Since all humans (male and female) have 12 ribs, is the creation story false?
It doesn't say that this is why - to this day - males have one fewer ribs than females have. Though many think otherwise. There are plenty of more viable criticisms of the literal interpretation of the Adam and Eve story.





Incidentally, although there IS a standard number of ribs, missing or extra ones are very common and most people with a different number don't ever find out, so a large percentage of humans do not have 12 ribs (or 12 per side.)
Who cares every1 knows The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the only plausible religion XD





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
from what i know not all christians believe the story of genesis to be literally true. some believe that it is a metaphor. if people still say that guys have one less rib than women then those people don't know their anatomy and are idiots.
I tried to explain this to a christian friend of mine. She told me I was lying.I said, really, you need to look at an x-ray. She couldn't understand it. She was in total shock. Eh I still love her dearly despite it.
Does a one-legged man have one-legged children?





Think about it





;-)





BTW scripture does NOT in fact say, ';and this is why - to this day - males have one fewer ribs than females have.';
Some people actually are missing a pair of their floating ribs, but you're totally right.
well, adam was created with 12 ribs but then 1 was taken out to create eve.
lol, can a virgin even have children?





;-)
He didn't take the DNA out of the sperm (fundies you owe me one).
Your statement, ';and this is why - to this day - males have one fewer ribs than females have'; does not come from the Bible. You don't have to read any further than the end of Genesis Chapter 2 to discover that.





So, I assume this is your own conclusion, and it is undoubtedly the lamest argument I’ve heard against the creation story...EVER! If you had a rib removed and fathered a child, would that child be born missing the same rib? If you lost an arm and a leg, would your child be born without an arm and a leg? The DNA code is passed from parent to child. The removal of a bone or a limb would not change the instructions of the code, so–barring some form of entirely unrelated birth defect—offspring would not be missing any bones or limbs.





Further, I have read testimonies of those who have had a lower rib removed, and it actually regenerates:





From the Scoliosis World Message Board: ';I had a rib removed when I was 16. Because it was grinding on my hip, due to my bottom curve, The Dr's did it because of the pain,, But within 5 years the rib grew back. It is not as hard as the one we cut out,, (bone grows back more like cartilige) softer but now it has grown two points like a fork or a deer antler. but it dosen't bother me. and there was really no recovery time, I was only in the hospital for the surgery. and I was up and walking the 2nd day I was home.';





Here’s another:





“...The good news is that I will go in first thing in the morning and be able to come home the same day. At first he said they'd do the surgery in the OR they have in the basement of their offices.





He looked at our faces and said, ';Well, maybe it would be better to do it at the hospital.'; I was like, ';definitely!'; There's no way I want to be in the basement of a doctor's office if something goes wrong.





This is a general anesthesia procedure - I mean I'm having my freaking rib removed! I'll take the OR at the real hospital, thank you very much.





Speaking of having my rib taken out... Get this: He said that most likely my rib will GROW BACK. How whacky is that? I had no idea that your ribs could regenerate! Why can't arms and legs do that???”

No comments:

Post a Comment